___ABOUT THE 1956 INSTITUTE [AZ 1956-OS INTÉZET TÖRTÉNETE]___
The Institute for the History of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution (hereafter 1956 Institute) considers itself primarily the successor of the Imre Nagy Institute of Sociology and Politics, which operated in Brussels between 1959 and 1963, and of other western emigrant organizations and writers that maintained the inheritance of the Hungarian Revolution for more than three decades.
In Hungary, the efforts of what was to become the 1956 Institute go back as far as the early 1980s, when participants of the Revolution began to reconstruct and historicize the events of 1956. The history of the Revolution had been and to some extent still is obscured by the distortions, falsifications and obfuscations of the K d r regime. With the help of interviews, memoirs, discussions, and with what documents could be collected, these scholars have attempted to establish a genuine account of the events in Hungary in and around 1956. The Committee for Historical Justice was founded partly with the same purpose in the spring of 1988. The Oral History Archives was established in 1986 with the primary goal of recording as many interviews with figures of the Revolution as possible.
The preparatory committee and temporary international board of trustees of the 1956 Institute were formed on June 17, 1989, the day after the reburial of Imre Nagy and his fellow martyrs. On March 1, 1990, the 1956 Institute and its foundation were legally registered. On March 16, on the initiative of Domokos Kosáry, the Hungarian Academy of Sciences formed the Academic Documentation and Research Group for the History of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. In 1995, the government of the Hungarian Republic granted the 1956 Institute, until then a social organization, the official status of a public foundation.